Tuesday, January 29, 2008

What Do You Think?

Today we got the word that a friend's brother passed. He was only a few years older than K and me, so it was a bit of a shock, even though he had had heart problems. It is just too hard to have people close to your own age die. It reminds too much of one's own mortality--and it isn't a pleasant thought.

Anyway, C called this evening and 'berated' me for not calling and telling her of his death. (She was joking.) I really didn't think of calling as he lived in the same town as The Parents, so I figured she would know about it before me, and told her so. As it turned out, she found out just before she called.

Here is the problem. C was told of his death by one of the first responders that had attended to him. This person not only told C that he had died, ****** said how he had been fine in the ambulance and they were sure he was going to be okay only to have him die at the hospital. Now, I'm not sure just exactly HOW much this person told C--or anyone else, for that matter--but I felt just a bit funny that this person said anything at all. This is the third time that I am aware of this person giving a bit of a detailed account of a first-response situation and I am not at all sure these are the kinds of things that should be told to anyone and everyone who would listen. Am I being a bit paranoid, or is this just not right? Should someone be told about this, or should it just be ignored? This person has been a first responder for a number of years--as has his/her spouse--and I just can't imagine how many stories are told. AND none of these stories are told in an anonymous way AND everyone in that area knows everyone else. What would you do in this situation? All opinions will be appreciated.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:20 AM

    That's a shame about the friend's brother.

    If the first-responder was giving out explicit details, that'd warrant a talk with either him or his supervisor. But it sounds like he's not saying anything that anyone could find out another way, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's always tricky in a place where everyone knows everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:30 AM

    This is a confidentiality issue and according the HIPPA you cannot do this. Daughter S is a dental assistant and can't even tell me when a friend or relative comes in. I cannot tell a student's parents anything, including their schedule. They should be reported, we were also told by a family member he passed in his sleep and was already gone before the ambulance got there. How are they going to feel???? This is terrible,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:48 AM

    sorry to hear about the loss.

    I dont think you are being paranoid...some people just dont know when to keep their mouths shut.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Medical personnel are not supposed to discuss patients with anyone but the patient's doctor or nurse or family. It is unethical.
    Used to really bug me when I worked at the hospital and the nurses would come to lunch and hash out all their frustrations with their patients around the table. Must have bugged some other people too because one day a poster was put up on the wall. The poster said "Shut Your Mouth!". I would report this if I were you, you should be able to do it anonymously to the responder's supervisor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a big no-no. Not only is it a violation of the HIPAA rules it is very unethical. People working on an ambulance are under the same rules as any other people in the medical field. How would that person feel if someone did that re. one of their loved ones?

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...