Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Anyone?

Has anyone had LASIK or LASEK surgery? Do you know anyone who has had it? I'm seeing my ophthalmologist in about a month and am going to ask him if I am a candidate for the surgery--and I want to find out how others feel about it. Surgery on my eyes is a very scary thought--but I think I am ready to make the move away from glasses.

I have been wearing glasses since I was in fourth grade. My eyesight is so bad that I can barely see the big 'E' on the eyechart without my glasses. Add to that my astigmatism AND the fact I have needed bifocals YEARS earlier than the normal person and you get what I deal with. The first thing I do when I wake up is put on my glasses--I can't imagine even going to the bathroom without them. Being without my glasses for a few minutes gives me a RAGING headache. While my vision has stabilized, I do need to get stronger bifocals all of the time. I suffer from eyestrain--probably due to the fact that I cannot get glasses fitted to give me perfect sight. To see perfectly, I need to look through the 'sweet spot' on my glasses--something that is easier said than done, as the 'sweet spot' is not very large. Wearing contacts would be another option for me, but with my allergies I think I would have even MORE eye irritation if I wore contacts. I realize that if I have the surgery I would STILL need to wear reading glasses, but I would gladly do that if I could see better and give up my glasses full-time.

This would be such a big step for me. The thought of losing my sight--or making it worse--just scares the hell out of me. I am such a big-time reader that I don't know WHAT I would if I couldn't read! I realize there are some risks with the surgery--as with ANY surgery--so I have a lot of thinking to do.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:30 PM

    Personally, anything that has to do with people touching my eyes gives me shudders-they'd have to dope me up to the point of unconsciousness to do any surgery on my eyes- but it sounds like you're ready for it. My oldest niece had it and she's very happy with the results. I hope it gives you the results you want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was younger, I had contacts. They were HARD ones, because of my astigmatism. There just is NOTHING like putting pieces of glass in your eyes first thing in the morning. :D I learned how to NOT have fits with something coming at my eyeballs. My husband can't even have drops put in his eyes without a fight--he DEFINITELY wouldn't be one to think about this surgery. :)

    Glad your niece had good results!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister had LASIK about six years ago and is still doing great. Her eyes were bad (not as bad as mine- LASIK won't correct them) but she is still seeing 20/20- and has somehow avoided reading glasses. I'm jealous! She said she was so glad she did it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good that your sister is doing well. I'm kind of afraid my eyes might not be suitable for the surgery--too old, too bad, too many things to correct. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:02 PM

    Mhy mother and my boss had this done. Both of them LOVED it...and it was very effective.

    You might have a little DRY EYE afterwards but that stops after a few months.

    They also still need to wear reading glasses, but thats about it!

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...