Friday, February 22, 2008

My Computer's Back Home!

My computer was ready for pick-up today. First, if ANY of the people I 'met' at the place I brought it had even the slightest of personalities, they might be mistaken for actual human beings. I don't think I have EVER seen such unfriendly people in a business setting as these people were. Obviously I needed to read minds, because I wasn't told a damn thing. I pointed out which computer I was picking up, I figured out I needed to write a check once the bill was placed in front of me, and I decided it was time to go when the check was taken out of my hand and then was stared at. I know who the receptionist was, as she was sitting behind the counter talking on the phone--and I HAD seen her when I brought the machine in. Once she put the bill in front of me, she went back to her phone call. Then a young guy materialized--I didn't see where he came from--and waited till I had finished writing the check. He took it from me. I hope he worked there. I still don't know who he was. The work done cost me $50--I didn't think that was a good sign, because what I WANTED done would have cost MUCH more than that.

The first indication that things weren't done right was when we looked at the back--and saw all of the dust still stuck to the fan. I figured, at the least, they would have vacuumed out the inside of the case! Nope.

After vacuuming, I set the system up and turned it on...and waited...for it to boot completely. Then I waited...and waited...and waited...and waited for my profile to completely load. ARRRGGGHHH!!! The firewall was turned off and the anti-virus was turned off. And I waited...till I could turn my security on.

The mouse isn't working the way it used to, it took FOREVER for Thunderbird to get my mail, and things JUST AREN'T RIGHT!! Settings are changed and things are turned off and I'm not happy. I HATE having to try and remember all of my personalized settings and have to go back and restore them.

On the other hand, K is DELIGHTED because his email is working better than it ever has. (He uses Outlook.) He isn't finding as many things changed. Bully for him.

I can tell that none of the other things I wanted done were accomplished, either. I left notes saying how I wanted the registry cleaned up and any phantom files deleted. I wanted the start-up looked at and wanted anything done to speed up the boot time. Not done. I would have paid much, much more if the work I wanted done had been done. Not happy. I expected the technician to call me, at least, and ask me to explain my notes. Didn't happen. I expected to explain what I wanted to have done. Didn't happen. NOT HAPPY!!

I do have to admit that the computer seems to be 'learning' how to act better. The speed is picking up a bit and things aren't quite as funky as they first were. I'll give it the weekend and see if all is better.

All in all, I won't be going back to this place. So, I have two options: I either have to plunge in and start doing registry hacks, or find another place for computer repairs. Oh, damn. Computers are fun.

Unruly Computer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...