Friday, February 22, 2008

Blogging The Game

Okay, so this isn't EXACTLY blogging the game, as I have only updated after every period. However, with my temperament, there is NO WAY I could do a minute-by-minute account. :)

The Wings are playing in Calgary--or, at least the Wings that aren't injured! The defense is so depleted that I don't know how they are managing. The senior D-man--Chris Chelios--is VERY experienced at 1600 games played. The next most experienced D-man has only played 300+ games. The youngest five defensemen have less games played, TOTAL, than Chelios has played. And to top it all off, it was just announced that Chelios is hurting with an injury to his leg and won't be back for the rest of the game. I didn't have much faith in what the outcome of the game would be tonight and now I feel as if it would be a MAJOR miracle if they don't get blown out of the water.

A young Swedish defenseman is making his NHL debut in this game. So far, he has done nicely. But, an about-to-be 24-year-old can only do so much against the veterans he's playing against. He is, I'm sure, the future of Detroit's defense at 6'5", 220 lbs. While I love to see the young players get their chances to play, I sure wish his debut was under better circumstances.

So, at the end of the first period, the score is 1-0 in favor of Calgary. They scored when the puck bounced off of two Red Wings and went past Osgood before he even saw it. I hope it doesn't go too badly for the rest of the game.


Here we are after 40 minutes of play and the score is the same. And the Wings are dropping like flies!

Calgary is pretty much as dirty of a team as Anaheim is and tonight they are doing their best to take out as many of the opposing players as possible. Drake got rattled, Downey limped off, Osgood is fighting the hurt, and Kopecky got his head slammed (illegally) into the boards. I'm really pissed off at the officiating again--I don't know WHY the slashing and dirty hits just aren't being called! Pretty soon the coaches will have to lace up the skates and play if there are any more injuries. This is just not the way to play the game.

The young guys are really staying in the game. They are doing their best--and are doing VERY well with keeping the score 1-0. This says a lot for Detroit's drafting and all around system. Twenty more to go and this one will be in the books.


So Detroit lost--at least it is a loss in the record book. As far as a PSYCHOLOGICAL win, this was HUGE! Calgary only scored that flukey goal in the first and Detroit only was kept off of the scoreboard by a combination of Kiprusoff and the goalposts. With so many of the veterans not playing, the young 'uns certainly showed what they are made of. This game showed what a great organization the Wings have in place.

It will be interesting to see who actually will be playing tomorrow night at Vancouver. There is a chance Chelios will play, but I have my doubts. So, that means ANOTHER Grand Rapids player will have his debut. Whoa. Howard starts in goal, so whatever Ozzie was feeling, he'll have a few days off in order to rest. Kronwall MIGHT come back in time for Tuesday's game, but that is SO far in the future that it isn't even something to think about! Definitely interesting times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...