Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Okay, So It's NOT Orr...

Bobby Orr shows up at the top of most lists as the greatest player ever to play the game--and I agree 100%. The man was such a joy to watch and he transformed the role of the defenseman in unbelievable ways. It is too bad his career was cut short because of his bad knees. But, there still are the memories.

May 10, 1970. The Stanley Cup Finals. Game 4. Sudden death overtime. Bobby Orr takes a pass from Derek Sanderson and knocks in the winning goal. The Bruins win it all. And then the picture of all pictures is taken:




Last night Valtteri Filppula--aka my 'Baby Boy'--got his fourth goal of the playoffs. It was a thing of beauty the way he skated around the Penguin players. "He shoots--he SCORES!!" And then the picture was taken:



While I would NEVER compare another player to Orr, this goal also was amazing. Kind of took the last bit of wind out of the sails of the Penguins. I guess Red Wings CAN fly--and penguins STILL are flightless.

I really am trying not to gloat--there still is the potential of playing five more games. And Wednesday the game moves to Pittsburgh, so it will be more of an uphill battle for the Wings. Still, it is looking pretty good for the Wings--as long as they keep playing their game and don't start to slack off. Keep the pressure on and the Cup should be coming home to Michigan!

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you are getting this opportunity. It's ok if you gloat ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read so many forums that have the WORST kind of fans posting and I just don't want to be like that! When/if the Wings win it all, THEN everyone will get sick and tired of my gloating! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...