Sunday, May 04, 2008

Same Time Next Year

I don't have a good singing voice. See, I don't think you understand: I DON'T HAVE A GOOD SINGING VOICE! People who don't have a good 'ear' would find my singing bad--anyone with any kind of musical ability thinks I sound like fingernails on a chalkboard, only worse! About the only thing I can choke out without sending people to the corner to puke are hymns--and at Christmas I can almost be considered okay. I guess He doesn't even want to hear me sing as badly as I do, so I get a little boost. :) With all that said, I must tell of something I do that has become a tradition in our family.

Every year on their birthdays, I call my girls and sing them 'Happy Birthday.' That is all well and good, but I do EVERYTHING in my power to make my singing even worse than it already is. So bad that ANYONE would want to take a pointy stick and poke their eardrum out after hearing the 'song.' We are talking worse than William Hung, bad. (Love how I can reference a show I have never seen, hey? :)) I sing while listening to my daughters groan on the other end of the line. They protest and beg me not to do it ever again--and I sing to them every year.

Today is C's birthday and I called to sing to her. It was later in the day and I really think she was waiting for my call. I told K that the girls would wonder what happened if I DIDN'T call with the birthday greetings. Despite their protestations, I believe they secretly like my rendition of 'Happy Birthday.' It just wouldn't be the same if I didn't call. :)

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:57 PM

    its all about tradition...even if it includes Bad Singing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the two of them continue the tradition with their own kids--then I could be remembered long after I'm gone. :) The grandma with the bad voice. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post!

    "I guess He doesn't even want to hear me sing as badly as I do, so I get a little boost."

    That nearly made me spit!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess it is as good of an explanation as any. :)

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...