Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Just Saying

I don't get too political on this blog--or at least I haven't for a while--but this has just crawled up under my skin and is irritating the hell out of me. Hence, the post.

I know politicians have always 'kissed babies' and mingled with the 'little people' as if to say they are just like the rest of us. They try to make themselves appear more human and humble. What I don't understand is, when did this change and candidates become total idiots? Frankly, I WANT my leader--the most powerful person in the US, which makes him/her the most powerful person in the world--to be above me. I WANT my leader to know more than me. I WANT my leader to be better than 90% of the people in this country. I WANT my leader to be a LEADER!

We are NOT seeing this type of attitude anymore. What we get to see are candidates being 'human.' They bowl and fish and down shots of whiskey and tell jokes on late-night shows and dance with Ellen. In my opinion, this does not show them being human, just like the rest of us. I find it condescending and insulting. Like I would ever believe that one of these candidates would be sitting in my local pub on a Friday, having a beer with the 'guys' before going to the bowling alley to bowl a few frames. And then wake up on Saturday morning and go to the ol' fishing hole to catch dinner before mowing the lawn. All the while discussing nothing more important than the crabgrass or how the Wings will do in the playoffs. RIIIIIGGGGGHHHHHHTTTTTTT.

These people SHOULD have more important things on their minds than the Red Wings. They SHOULD be thinking about and discussing the life-and-death issues that face each of us every day. They should NOT worry about making it look good for the camera and trying to be like the rest of us. They SHOULD be better. Enough with the foolishness--get serious and get REAL! And when the candidate emerges--at whatever point in time in the future--that can be like this, he/she will have my vote AND voice. Completely.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:07 PM

    dood...great post....but I have to plead the 5th on any political opinions I may or may not have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree, disagree, remain neutral--doesn't matter. No one is required to leave comments. :) Just happy to have you drop by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make a good point. I don't get it either.. "I went to school in France. I have three different summer homes and winter on my own private tropical island that I fly to on my own private jet, but in my off time I like to perch fish and shoot skeet in my backyard while downing can after can of Natty Lite."

    Whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:14 AM

    The same mentality bitched and moaned when Bush didn't show up pronto for Katrina, what the ef could he do about it? It would have not bothered me if he never dropped in down there.

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...