Thursday, April 03, 2008

Just WHO Are They Kidding?

K and I went to our favorite Italian restaurant tonight for dinner. (And, no, it was NOT Olive Garden--we don't have one in our town. :)) I sat with my back toward the wall and faced the rest of the restaurant, which I usually do. Right in my line of vision was an elderly man--he was in his 60s or 70s. The man was balding--badly. He also had the mother of all comb-overs--with a swirl to top it all off. It was very, very sad. He wore his hair rather short--except for the comb-over--and parted it less than one inch from the top of his ear. I think a very ill-fitting toupee would have been less noticeable. Just WHO do these men think they are fooling? Don't they see what the rest of us see when they look in mirrors? Or, are they completely in a state of denial? Thank goodness he and his party left before my food arrived. The comb-over kind of put me off my feed. :/

Looking In Mirror

7 comments:

  1. LMAO! This reminds me of a man who came into the first salon I ever worked at.. He sat down in my chair, also mother of all comb overs, and no kidding says "Could you feather the top?" You know me, I nearly busted out laughing right there, but managed to hold it together somehow.. I cut his hair, did the best I could and he says, "Could you feather the top a little more? My wife will just kill me if I don't feather the top a little more.." Frustrated, I "feathered" the top alright, and he walked out with a whole new style! Never saw that guy again....

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!!! I can't imagine HOW you managed to keep it together--I would have laughed so hard that he would have left in a huff. Just too, too funny.

    K promised that if/when he actually starts thinning on top (he has the most baby fine hair there is, but he isn't balding) he will just use his razor and cut it all off himself. I will make him keep his promise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:02 PM

    I'd much rather see a bald head than a bad comb-over. It's like they just can't bear to say goodbye to what little hair they have left. I think men of a certain age are more vulnerable, it's just recently that bald became beautiful. On some guys, mind you-I don't get why young men who conceivably have hair choose to shave it all off. Maybe they're too cheap to buy shampoo or too lazy to comb and wash their hair?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:15 PM

    That reminds me, I'll have to post it. For whatever reason, vanity, they can't let go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We used to have a guy at work with a dodgy comb-over, it was a real scream when it was windy, his cap blew off and it blew wild!

    We also psrticipate in syrup spotting. One of my colleagues can spot a syrup at 200 yards.





    (syrup - cockney rhyming slang - syrup of figs = wigs)

    ReplyDelete
  6. nick b: The cockney rhyming slang is something I have heard of before and find fascinating. Of course, I don't GET IT at all, but find it neat nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...