Friday, April 04, 2008

Bits 'n' Pieces

K reported for jury duty today and was chosen to sit. He has to go back on Monday and maybe Tuesday. I don't know what the case is, as he wouldn't tell me. He said the judge told them they could go to jail if they discuss the case, so he won't. The only thing he said was that accountants were involved--and that he has never been as bored in his life! I'm sure he'll tell me what the case is after it is all over, but I may not want to know then. :)

**********

Early in the trial process, K said the judge called out the number of a juror and told him to leave. No explanation, nothing. K found out later that the judge was given a note saying that alcohol had been smelled on the juror's breath. When the rest of the jury went into the jury room, the first thing someone said was, "Okay, who has a bottle. We can ALL get out of here!"

**********

I should know better than to ask him any 'secrets.' I ran into this when he was in the Navy. The boat he was on had a designation of being nuclear capable. When asked if they had nuclear anything on board, he repeated the company line: "I can neither confirm or deny whether there is anything nuclear on board." To me he CLAIMED not to know the real answer, but I don't know. If he DID know, I am sure he wouldn't have said.

**********

It has been announced that the Wii Fit will be available in the US on 21 May. Some sites seem to be taking pre-orders, but I will wait and take my chances. I think it will be as hard to find the Fit as it was to find the Wii system. I can wait, though. To find out more about the Wii Fit, go here.

As of now, Nintendo hasn't said what the Fit will be priced at. I have read/seen prices ranging from $80-250. I think it will be around $100. I don't think they can sell it for $250--that is what the Wii system costs!

**********

The Wings DID sign Abdelkader to a three year contract today. He really isn't expected to be in the regular line-up next year--he will go to Grand Rapids to learn the game. But, he just might be in the play-offs THIS year because of injuries. Kopecky left last night's game with an injury and he is out for the rest of the season. He suffered a torn ACL and sprained MCL in his knee and will need surgery. He won't be playing for 4-6 months. Hopefully he'll be ready to go to training camp next year. Damn--and he was just coming into his own, too.

After tonight's games, it is decided that Detroit will face Nashville in the first round of the play-offs. It is good because the travel time is almost negligible, but Nashville is on a roll right now and that is dangerous. However, there are bad things about playing ANY of the teams in the play-offs, so...

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:33 PM

    I did jury duty once. Loved it. A woman was setting people up so she could run into the back of them then claiming injuries; her doctor was in on it, in fact, I believe he was the instigator. Lots of his patients had been in similar circumstances. The Rev. Wright would have approved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THAT would have been an interesting case to hear. The one I was on was a domestic violence case--boyfriend on live-in girlfriend. The trouble was, she NEVER showed up for the trial, so we believed him. (I guess it HAD to come to trial because the police were involved--it didn't matter that the girlfriend didn't press charges.) As far as could be figured out, it was two drunks beating on each other and nothing more. It only took a few hours for the trial, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still want a Wii really bad.. I love my PS2, but all I do is sit on my but when I'm playing it. Well, that's not entirely true, depending on the game I find myself weaving from side to side as though it will help, but I'd probably have to do it for days on end in order for it to burn one calorie.

    My grandfather does outrageous things to get out of jury duty.. He's claimed he's a big racist, strongly for cruel and unusual punishment, you name it.. A little out there, but funny I think. Sometimes it doesn't get him out of anything..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always thought it would be fun to stand up--BEFORE ANYTHING was asked of the jurors--and yell "Shoot the bastard!!" I wonder if they would accept you to sit on the jury if you did that? :)

    I will bet by Christmas--if not sooner--you will be finding Wii bundles (a Wii and Wii Fit together) at decent prices. That would probably be the time to get one. They definitely ARE fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:10 PM

    Jury Duty? I would LOVE to be on Jury Duty. Of course only for a celebrity murder trail ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't mind doing jury duty many times a year if we had interesting cases. Unfortunately (OR fortunately), embezzlement is probably as interesting as it gets around here! (This is what I think K's trial is about.)

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...