Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Newest

We took a trip up north to bring some stuff to C today. As usual, they were running late for something, so we just stayed a couple of minutes. I guess she would want a longer visit if we weren't in the habit of just dropping in. No problem.

After we left C's, we went to The Parent's house. yippee. The Mother's birthday is next week, so this was the perfect time for me to bring her gift. I made her a really pretty bracelet with emerald green (her birthstone color) Swarovski crystals, which I thought she would rave about. She didn't. It's not as if she didn't like it, she just didn't like it as much as I thought she would. Here's what it looks like: (the pic doesn't really do it justice)


Also, for a kick, I got a set of retro kitchen canisters and matching salt and pepper shakers. She had a set of the exact same canisters in her kitchen for most of my childhood and when I saw them, I thought she would think they were fun. WRONG! She LOVED them and can't wait to use them. Obviously, I don't know the woman at all.

Here are the shakers: (The canisters look exactly like this, only they are different sizes and have flour, sugar, coffee, and tea written on them.)


The Mother was a little strange. Her mood was a bit weird, but I suppose it is due to the fact that she isn't feeling all that well. (She had rotator-cuff surgery about a month ago and it has been a long rehabilitation. I think she is getting discouraged.) She made a couple of 'off' remarks--she commented about how VERY THIN my hair is, as if it is something I can control--and it reminded me how grateful I am to not be involved with her anymore. (You have to know The Mother to understand her tone of voice, words, and look on her face when she made her remarks. I know what she meant--someone else might not have heard the disapproval in her tone. The hair-thing was a criticism of me having long hair--she doesn't approve.) AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

**********

On our way up north, K woke me up rather abruptly at one point. He had to point out the coyote crossing the road--quite cool. I still would rather see a wolf, though. I didn't see an eagle today, but I did see a swan--neat.

**********

When we got back into town, we decided to pick up dinner, so we went through a drive-through. As we were leaving the parking lot, K noticed that the brakes on the Jimmy didn't feel right and the 'check brakes now' light was on. GREAT! Thankfully, we were only about a block away from where we bring the Jimmy for repairs, so we went directly there. After a short look-see, it was determined that one of the brake lines broke. GREAT! At least we weren't driving 70 down the highway when the line went. We left the Jimmy there and they said they would get to it when they could, but they were completely booked at the moment. Not too much trouble, as we still have the truck. They called about 10:00 PM and said it was all taken care of. Amazing--I didn't think we would get it back till tomorrow.

**********

Before the game tonight, Versus showed a guy run to the edge of the ice and throw an octopus. They then showed the refs cleaning the octopus off of the ice--using a shovel and scraper. It took them five minutes. It takes Al less than a minute to go onto the ice, pick up the octopus, swing it over his head, and leave the ice. What a bunch of idiots. Obviously, Al didn't get the octopus and take the fine. I'm sad. It just isn't right.

**********

The Avs and the Wings came together tonight for the first game of round two. The Wings won 4-3. I want this series to be over. Eleven more wins and the Wings can drink out of Lord Stanley's Cup. Do it!

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:20 AM

    I'm glad you didn't discover the brakes weren't working at a bad time!

    I'm not sure what that octopus thing is about and I'm not sure I want to know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:56 PM

    That bracelot is BEAUTIFUL. Im sorry you didnt get the reaction you wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The brake thing was very scary in a 'what if...' sort of way.

    Sports traditions CAN be a bit off-the-wall. I will admit that! :)

    Thanks meleah--I appreciate it. The whole problem with my expectations are that they come from my inner child. I have to silence her whenever I'm around The Mother--I just haven't completely learned to do that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that bracelet!! You made that?? You are very talented! I've looked for bracelets that pretty and haven't ever found one. :(

    Every time you talk about the mother, I hear my grandmother's voice.. I think it's just more proof that we must be related.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much, burg, for the compliment. I appreciate it so much.

    (And no, I DIDN'T show the pic so that I could get compliments! :))

    The proof is beginning to get scary, isn't it? :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:50 AM

    awww...well thats still sad to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the bracelet you made for your mother! You are very talented. I remember your beautiful Christmas ornaments too.

    My Grandma used to have canisters just like those way back when!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Cindi.

    I think a lot of people had those canisters--I just thought they were so retro and cool!

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...